Monday, January 21, 2013

Transparency


Last Monday I shared some stuff about one of my most recent screw ups. Prior to publishing I sent a draft to my friend, Megan. Megan is great writer (You should check out www.opalescentokapi.com ) and someone to whom I relate well on spiritual matters. She read my draft and replied. One line she shared said “I don't know if you're worried about pastor-people or religious-types reading this or what they'd think (to paint religious folks with a BIG brush... sorry)” and then went on to commend me for being honest and real. Her comment really got me thinking…
What is my goal/purpose in writing my blog, Seriously Jimmy?
If it is to impress the “religious-types,” than I’ve probably failed miserably. If it’s to get a ton of praise and comments with thousands of readers I’m not doing so hot either. So why DO I write this blog? It is my hope and prayer that by being honest and transparent in my writing God uses this blog to draw my readers closer to Him. This prayer is for everyone, no matter whether they are just curious about who this Jesus dude is or have known Him for 90 years.
Listening to some “old school” pastors through my 40 some years of church attendance and Bible college I’ve gotten the impression that some of them wanted me to think that their poop (if they even produced any) didn’t stink. Personally I find it difficult to identify with perfection, real or implied. A few years ago, as I was beginning a position in campus ministry, I shared with a board member my concern over feeling as though I didn’t have enough of an education to be on a level field with the students. He gave me words that, to this day, I hold close. “You can have more degrees than a thermometer and still not be able to relate.” I’ve been through a LOT of crap in my life, be it though bad choices or just basic results of living in a fallen world. But I’m here to tell you every time that I’ve pressed and trusted God, He has been faithful. The results may not have always been what I had expected, but I always ended up learning something and/or closer to God. If I hide the things that have happened out of fear of appearing to be a total moron, I am missing an opportunity to share God’s glory with others. And I’m robbing them of a chance to grow and learn from my experience.
I’ve heard it said that “The church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints” (I’m not certain the original source of this quote.) The Bible describes us as individuals in 1 Corinthians as the “Temple of the Holy Spirit.” So it would stand to reason that we are to be a place of healing and reconciliation rather than merely an escape from the “real” world. I believe that by being transparent we can relieve the pressure that many feel to be “perfect” prior to coming to church, or ultimately entering into a relationship with God.
I have adopted a motto:
I may not have all the answers, but I know the One who does. And I’d be honored to accompany you on the journey to seek Him.
As always, I’d love to read your thoughts. But don’t forget, I wrote this in the spirit of love and I’d appreciate if you were to do the same.
Peace,
Jimmy


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jimmy! You made me smile and think at the same time...thus dispelling the myth that as a blonde I can only do one thing at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann, that's what I was hoping for!

    ReplyDelete