Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Oomea Loompa and life

I'm not good at waiting.
When I want something, I want it now!
I'm reminded of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  She was a spoiled brat who pitched a fit to get what she wanted. Even if what she wanted wasn't practical, she demanded her daddy indulge her every desire.



My hearing aid is 6 years old.  It's pretty much at the end of its life.  So today, I went to check out a new one.  The new aid wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  And it was really pricey  ($2300.)  But I wanted to solve my hearing situation right now.  I sat down to fill out the paperwork to finance the purchase.  But before I could even write my name, I realized it was a decision I should discuss with my wife before going further.  So I thanked the audiologist for his time and said that I needed time to think about it.  As I drove home I decided that I need to be wise in my decision.  While it makes perfect sense to wait until I know I'm making the best choice, I couldn't help but get angry.  "I want my hearing woes solved immediately! I don't want to wait!  Why can't I have what I want when I want it?"  Those were just a few of this spoiled brat's thoughts.  I pouted for a few minutes and then it hit me.  I was pushing for something based on emotions.  Would I be better able to hear?  Yes. But how much have I researched? How confident am I that I'm choosing the best possible option?  I wouldn't buy the first car I saw just because it's shiny. So why jump at the first hearing aid I've tried?  A decision like this takes wisdom.  Probably more wisdom than I possess.  It would be a good idea to discuss it with family and friends.  And while I'm at it, I bet God would be happy to help me figure out what to do.
Realizing this has brought me peace.  I can wait.  And in doing so, when the time comes to actually purchase a hearing aid, I can be confident in my decision.
So I guess this spoiled brat is learning!

Proverbs 3:5-6 says
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways submit to Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Maybe an Oompha Loompa isn't what I need at this point in time.  Maybe God has something in store that willblow me away.  I don't want to get ahead of what He's doing.
At 50 (for about another week and a half) I'm still learning this. But I'm excited to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment